For those looking for a quick start, Ross McFarland has written an Introduction to GUI Programming with Gtk2-Perl.
We also have some of the example programs from the
gtk2-perl tries to be perlish, so as to be
comfortable and familiar for perl programmers; but it also tries to stick very
close to the C API, so that any reference material, tutorials, example code, or
programming experience you have with Gtk+ in any language can still be useful.
So, the C API reference documentation at developer.gnome.org will be very
useful even when developing in gtk2-perl; use it in conjuction with the guidelines for translating the C API to Perl as described in Gtk2::api.
If all else fails, and you feel the need to cry for help, discuss gtk2-perl
with the authors on the gtk-perl mailing
list. You can search
the list archives at markmail or on gnome.org
gtk-perl list archives.
The Guide to porting from Gtk-Perl to Gtk2-Perl can also come in handy.
- Gtk2-Perl Study Guide by Dirk van der
Walt. Note: This study guide used to be hosted at Novell's
developer website, but went offline around October 2010. This is a local
copy of the study guide, hosted by the Gtk2-Perl project. You can download
the sample programs in their own tarball, or you can download the full HTML
study guide with samples/optional scripts for offline viewing:
- English Gtk2-Perl Tutorial (alpha version)
- French Gtk2-Perl Tutorial by Patrice Le-Borgne.
- Subclassing Widgets In Perl - A quick tutorial on creating your own widgets and objects with pure Perl code.
- Unicode A general tutorial/presentation including information about unicode character encodings, Dov Grobgeld
- Using Gtk2::GladeXML, another tutorial by Patrice Le-Borgne.
- Spanish Gtk2-Perl Tutorial by Alejandro Garrido Mota.
If you have written or wish to write one, please let us know. Until then,
there are links to several tutorials for other programming languages o
the links page.
Things to help in creating bindings for lib- or GObject-based libraries:
Copyright © 2002-2005 by the Gtk2-Perl Team.